1/2 Model Tugboat



Description

Folk Art half hull of a Tug Boat inscribed on the reverse as constructed at the Crescent Shipyard, Elizabethport, New Jersey, 1880 - 1895.

In good condition, retaining an undisturbed original surface showing excellent patina and craquelure.  The aft spire / mast is a replacement.

 

This Folk Art half hull of a Tug Boat has a 20th century inscription on the reverse:  "Made by Plumb. Edgewater Ave., Westville, N.J., Crescent Boat Yard."  The inscription suggests it is a model of a tug boat made at the Crescent Shipyard in Elizabethport, New Jersey.  The Crescent Shipyard was a subsidiary of the Crescent Iron Works, owned by Samuel L. Moore & Sons, Inc.  The first listed ship made by Samuel L. Moore and Sons was the steamer Villa de Palizada, which was sold to Mexico in 1890.  Among the next eight ships built at the Crescent Shipyards, between 1891 and 1893, four were tug boats, all made in 1891.  The first three were the Transfer No.7, 8 and 9 tug boats, made for the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad.  The next tug boat listed was the Palmyra, built for the Pennsylvania Railroad Co.  In 1894, the Crescent Shipyard was leased to Lewis Nixon, who built the tug boat Vigilant for the Army Corps of Engineers in 1900.  Nixon operated the shipyard until 1904, when it was acquired by Bethlehem Steel, who leased part of it to John W. Sullivan and part to New Jersey Dry Dock & Transportation Company, not taking full control until 1916, for the World War I emergency shipbuilding effort. 



Dealer Nathan Liverant and Son
Date: 1880 - 1895
Origin Elizabethport, New Jersey
Artist/Maker
Measurements 13" by 21"
Price
   
Inventory View Dealer's Show Inventory
Request more information via email
Website http://www.liverantantiques.com
Contact , 860-537-2409 or  mail@liverantantiques.com

Stay up to date with our ADA newsletter.


[ Generation time: 0.038 s - 85% PHP, 15% DB ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP compression enabled ]   [ Server Load: 3.48 ]